The purpose of this website is to promote the practice of entrenovation and the entrenoveurs who manage the innovation process. Entrenoveurs innovate.
Establish the “new word” #entrenovation* as a recognized Practice that embodies the knowledge-base associated with innovation and the concepts attendant thereto. “[Entrenovation] is neither a science nor an art. It is a practice … it is behaviour. Practice is an action not a theory, thought, or idea” P. F.Drucker.
Entrenovation focuses on the identification and development of innovative opportunity that represents Schumpeterian creative destruction.
Entrenovation is further defined below and in the linked essay:
“Entrenovation*: The Case for a New Word“. Read the essay.
The essay justifies the need for the new word and argues for its usage. Why? The usage of entrepreneurship has variably related to innovation as well as starting and managing a business. Common usage now describes entrepreneurship only as starting and running a business (per dictionary definitions).
Managing innovation demands a skill set that is different than the skill set needed to start and manage businesses. Thus, going forward, the goal is to recognize entrenovation and entrepreneurship as distinct practices:
- The exploration & development departments of energy companies identify prospective properties, develop the successes, and forward the production for refining and marketing.
- Entrenoveurs find innovative opportunities, develop a product or a service, and hand it off to entrepreneurs for marketing and selling to realize a profit.
The practice of identifying and developing innovative ideas that will disrupt business paradigms. Entrenovation is behaviour based, not based on personality or intuition. It is creative destruction that moves the world forward.
The practice of starting and managing a business while assuming the associated business risks.
During the life cycle of an enterprise founded on innovation there are two significant differences in the contributions of the entrenoveur and the entrepreneur to a business:
- First, the skill set of the entrenoveur is focused on identifying and converting an idea into a product or service. The entrepreneur is focused on marketing and selling the product or service and managing the growth of the enterprise.
- Second: the two skill sets are required at different stages in the life cycle of a company.
* Important note: The word “entrenovation”, including derivatives, is intended to be available for common use. The word is not subject to copyright, cannot be used as a trademark, cannot be patented, and cannot be reserved in any fashion for the personal, business, or otherwise private use of anyone, anywhere, at any time.